Nowa Wieś Głubczycka is a small village which lies in Opole Voivodeship, Głubczyce County, in south-western Poland (about 5 km from Głubczyce ).
It is situated in a small valley surrounded by the hillocks of Głubczyce Plateau and from afar it looks like an oasis of green.
The village is away from busy communication routes and this is why the air here is healthy, clean, one could say fully ecological. In springtime there are frogs croaking in nearby meadows, snails hiding in the grass, flowers smelling in house gardens and storks coming back here without fail every year to rear their young ones ( the nest is in the very middle of the village) and these birds run away from unhealthy terrains.
Through the middle of the village flows the river Złotnik and the old watermill used to draw water from it. At present it is powered by electricity, but one can still see the old devices.
The church is also worth seeing. It was built in XVIII century on the foundations of the former castle and it stands on the high place of the village. Within the church premises, close to the old bell tower the villagers placed a monument devoted to the memory of John Paul II.
The present inhabitants of Nowa Wieś Głubczycka have their roots in pre–war Kresy (The Borderlands) namely in the village then called Wicyń. (After the World War II Wicyń was renamed Smerekivka by Ukrainians)
Wicyń was one of the oldest villages in Podolia Land. (The first documentary evidence dates from 1389). Once it was a royal estate and as time went on its owners changed; among them were well known polish noble families; Sienieński, Radziwiłł, Potocki, Sobieski. It was Jakub Sobieski, father of King John III that brought settlers to Vicyń from Mazovia, central Poland in 1630.
There existed in Wicyń a manor belonged to Eder and Wrabetz families.
Poland lost Kresy after World War II, they were incorporated into Soviet Union and the Polish people were deported to the western parts of post - war Poland. The repatriates or, better say expatriates from Wicyń settled in many villages and towns, among others here in the village now called Nowa Wieś Głubczycka.
The People who arrived here after the war are good farmers, solid and honest, and first of all true patriots. It is worth remembering that during World War II there existed a strong resistance movement in Wicyń which made the village a real fortress defending local inhabitants against Ukrainian nationalists.
The descendants of former inhabitants are faithful to the traditions of their fathers.
Zbigniew Herbert ‘s maxim placed on the modest obelisk in the middle of the village Nowa Wieś Głubczycka reminds: „The Nation which loses Memory, loses Conscience”.
There are few lively local organizations in the present village: Parish Council,
Voluntary Fire Brigade (established in 1945, awarded a Silver Medal of Merit in 1995), Village Women's Club (widely known for catering at various ceremonies in the area), and Football Club Agricola ( there is a football pitch with a locker room and a gym)
Nowa Wieś Głubczycka is taking active part in special modern program called the Revival of the Village. Thanks to this program a new tennis court was build and many other actions, solutions and undertakings were made in the village.